Spicy pasta is my favorite pasta dish add in a bit of spicy sausage and it’s double spicy! This is a super easy dish that freezes amazingly well – make a double batch and put a second pan in the freezer for later. That’s a busy Mom tip!
1/2 lb Hot Ground Sausage, browned and drained
3 tbsp olive oil
3 lb roma tomatoes, quartered
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
½ cup water
16 oz Penne Pasta, Cooked according to directions
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Place quartered tomatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer cut side up.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast at 375 degrees about 40 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave tomatoes in the oven while preparing the other ingredients.
- Drizzle olive oil in a sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Add onion into the pan.
- Saute until caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and slightly crush them.
- Add ½ cup water and stir in the basil, oregano, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer over low for at least 2 hours- the longer it simmers the better it tastes.
For Pasta Bake:
Mix cooked pasta with sauce. Add in drained hot sausage.
Put in a baking dish and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Top with cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes until the cheese melts.